Monday, September 03, 2007

Because Life's Too Short (not to be superficial)

When life gives you a lemon, make that honey lemon drink everyone is always going on about, and maybe, just maybe, if you drink enough of it, you'll get back your voice. In other words....

`The question is,' said Alice, `whether you can make words mean so many different things.'

`The question is,' said Humpty Dumpty, `which is to be master - - that's all.'


If you're feeling really low, it's nothing that a new liquid eyeliner won't cure. Especially if you don't use eyeliner, don't know how to, and end up smudging both your eyes with jerky movements because you lack the requisite artistry to outline your eyelids.

And don't forget about the French manicure - I mean if we're gonna splurge money we don't have (because we owe a huge portion of this month's salary to Mum for a loan taken) why don't we look around to find the most unnecessary thing we can spend it on?

Yeah, I'm talking really dark lip liner, a lip brush, expensive gloss (did you know that Parisian women won't be seen taking out the garbage without lip gloss? OK, that may be an exaggeration. But it's in this book I'm reading now see, Two Lipsticks and a Lover).

Anyway, it now takes three quarters of an hour to get my face done, with all these tubes of goo, powders and pencils. It takes about half an hour to get said face off -there's the eye make up remover followed by the rest-of-the-face make-up remover.

And I bought a long maroon kurta as well as a white one with green embroidery because I'm sick of my clothes. And I'm sick of my hair, but since I have to let it grow out I won't be doing anything radical to it soon.

And after all this, I still look like me. And after all this I still feel like me.

And as I sit here at Starbucks and see the various minor dramas going on around me, I feel strangely empty, all this gilding notwithstanding.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

We're saving for a trip, so no new things for me (though I did replenish my Clarins stash and got a new bottle of Burberry scent...because the little things DO count ;) I had the best Labor Day in a long time - a dear friend who knows me from way back when cleared all the wrinkles by just being there. I feel refreshed and see my city with her joyful eyes. Sometimes, it takes another person's perspective to make things right as rain.

Nessa said...

There are times when it is so hard to get myself out of a depressed mood no matter what I do. It's the way I talk to myself and it takes so much effort to change the words to positive ones. Perhaps you should hold off on reading Wolfe for a little while; D

Jenn said...

Marge: Glad to hear it. Life would be unbearable without Clarins - it DOES make a difference!

Nessa: Wolfe? As in the author? I read Wurtzel when I'm depressed - there's nothing like overdosing on emotions...

Anonymous said...

Ah, Jenn, you are beautiful, with or without the warpaint. But I know what you mean. And I think that we all sometimes feel empty - but like all things - it passes.

Jenn said...

Awww thanks Jackie. It goes against every principle to slap on the war paint...but as days go by, I find myself slapping on even more every day...