Monday, March 06, 2006

I just watched an episode of Extreme Makeover, my first, and I have to admit, I was rather startled. It wasn't as superficial as I thought it would be. And yet it was.

Two months to change you physically. To change your life "forever". What about the stuff inside? How did that change? Were these people subjected to motivational seminars, good literature, loving company?

I mean, did they spend most of the two months in darkened rooms, recovering from the plastic surgery? Who talked to them? How did they pass those interminable minutes?

I can live through anything but the minutes.

"I could see his mouth move soundlessly and as I read lips, I knew he was saying, you're beautiful, you're exquisite, you're dazzling. Over and over again."

"You don't know what it feels like to look into the mirror and actually like what you see."

"And suddenly, there I was. Young again. I finally looked like me."

You'll see it when you believe it.

I don't.

I broke up with Ernest today. I thought it best. The weather continues charming.

5 comments:

Nessa said...

You're right to question what they did to make over their insides, since what we see in the mirror is colored by how we feel.

I don't care for reality shows. They are so NOT real.

Jenn said...

Yes. They are heavily edited. Carefully structured. Sound bytes. All the nasty stuff trimmed out. And the only show the stuff that turns out right.

But I'm wondering if the reality shows reflect us. Have we morphed into the kind of people that deserve reality tv or are we just being punished for past sins?

Only the Phantom knows...

Nessa said...

It's like Big Brother is telling us what reality is because we can no longer figure it out for ourselves.

Who's the man behind the curtain?

Jenn said...

The fearsome Illuminati? The Master Race who are pulling the strings, dumbing us down adequately, to take us over in some future date?

Considering the humiliations they subject them too, it still surprises me that the reality tv folk agree to be part of it. I mean so what if you get a million dollars? Is it worth all that crap you have to put up with?

Nessa said...

Opus Dei. The Da Vinci Code was entertaining. A very easy read, too.

And what they do for their million will be enshrined on tape(?) for generations to come. "Look, Grandma got fake boobs!"