Monday, October 04, 2021

Worthy of Love

Even as you lay 
on the ground
soaked in vodka
or whisky
or wine
or brandy
or whatever
ethanol you had
just picked up
from the shop 
opposite.

Even as you lay 
passed out
in the front of that 
tiny hotel
tiny but decent
except for the drunk 
at its doorstep

Even then you 
felt worthy of love
a person
and not a creature
to be pitied 
or shunned.

You cried out
upon waking
demanding a hearer
demanding affection
demanding all that 
had been promised

You never felt unworthy
even as you lay on the ground, twitching
wretched
but unashamed.

And eventually
you found someone
who was sweet and forgiving
who married you
and lived with you
for a few years
and who eventually
sent you home
in an urn.

But you remained married
until you died
which is what you intended
and all you ever wanted.

And when I looked on you
with such disgust
and contempt
I didn't know 
that you, even you,
in all your brokenness
lying in your own puddle 
of urine and vomit
had something teach me.

I, who have never felt worthy,
no matter what I did,
no matter how I tried,
no matter what I achieved,

of love. 

No comments: