Wednesday, September 08, 2021

Estrangement

One day I woke up
and you were no longer
an enemy
just a stranger
I had no feeling for

Irrelevant
in my life.

I smiled
and shrugged
trying to rouse
feelings
at least anger
I could always do anger.

But there's nothing there
not even a flicker
and now I know what it means
when they say
you are dead to me.

Because, you truly are.

Buried, encoffined, cremated, ashes,
Dust.

And as as it is
a time of turmoil
and as I don't agree
with the people 
around me...

I will have to withdraw
build walls
between me
and the people
dear to me
become a hermit
more so than I 
already am.

But not with you
I won't have to
For you are nothing
but a dim memory
someone I used to know?

Maybe
I don't remember.

There's nothing deader
than a memory
of someone who used to be
dear.

No comments: