Wednesday, May 05, 2021

Not quite quite

 After two hours in an unmoving jam to make a trip that should have taken 15 minutes, I feel like a mass of raw nerve endings. Tired, irritable, I swerved left and right in anger, sped up when idiots wanted to cut in, honked as loudly as I could for the idiot in front of the traffic light who remained unmoving when it was green because the people in the opposite direction were blocking his way (illegally) and he was too polite to cut in.

In the meantime, Jinny, who was in the back seat, whom I had just taken back from the vet against medical orders because the MCO is about the start tomorrow, who requires injections and a change of dressings on a belly wound that just won't heal, in the meantime Jinny started wailing. And I didn't know if she was hurt or she needed to pee, or if she was just scared. 

I got scared and drove as fast as I could. Cussed out anyone who slowed me down. Cussed and cussed and cussed.

And got home feeling shaky and shivery and not quite quite.

Naturally Boom Boom didn't welcome my youngest with her soft sunflower cone (she has slunk into the cupboard and is asleep among my clothes).

And I get back to find that I have missed Dadda's medical appointment because I was stuck in traffic and there is no way in hell I am going out there again in this crazy rain-maddened Wednesday (I hate Wednesdays, I have hated it since I was a kid and Wednesdays were double Geography, my most hated subject of all). It is the fasting month which means that half the traffic should not have been on the road because they should have been somewhere breaking their fast but the MCO starts tomorrow and everyone needed to get in some last minute shopping, not knowing how bad it was going to be.

There are some 3,744 new infections today and 17 deaths (there were 23 yesterday). The apartment has put up a sign saying there has been a fourth Covid case in the apartment complex and my MySejahtera app tells me that there are 43 cases within 1km of me (I am in a red zone!).

(Boom Boom is outside my door crying piteously, imploring me to let her in; I won't. She is hostile to Jinny now and I need to protect Jinny).

Now I have that slight headache that comes from tension, my body is cold from being in the car in a storm with the air con on full blast (until I smartened up and turned up the temperature) and someone is splitting straws about a standfirst, changing one word, then another, until I want to scream!

I need to heat up some food from Rumahku that we had this afternoon. Dadda and I just had tea and goring pisang but because it took too long to get home, the goring pisang was soggy with old oil and after one tentative bite, Dadda didn't want any more. So I'm full of goring pisang and tired and what I really want to do right now is take a nap.

I want to calm down and for my nerves to stop jangling like a million crickets scratching out their noctural symphony. Creeak Craak Creeak Craak.

Poetry gets made on the fly.

No comments: