Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Karma

I'm feeling a little (make that a lot) mixed up. Somebody stole my credit card and maxed it out. The bank is saying because I didn't report it (I didn't even know it was stolen until I received a phone call and checked my wallet this evening) I am liable for the amount.

So I break my back working to pay for some thief to buy a laptop or two? The guy from the bank was stern and unavailing. Bottom line is, bank does not want to stand the loss.

Thing is, if I didn't sign those chits, how can they dun me for the amount? And why didn't they block the second transaction? I never make huge transactions on my credit card.

Anyways, so there I was driving to the clinic to take Arnold for a walk, screaming in my head against the unfairness of life. Where did I lose my card? The transactions were done on Sunday (God, what a 10.10.10 for me). Was it at Nando's that afternoon? Did the cashier actually return my card? I thought she did. I can't remember. Was it at the cocktail I didn't want to go to anyway?

I went to the police station to make a report and they were very nice and even faxed through the report to the bank's credit card centre for me.

Then, as I was out walking Arnold in the park, my pocket buzzed. Was the guy to tell me he had received the report. He was stern and angry.

Sure, dude, everyone's mad.

But can't you see I'm the victim here? Not the perpetrator?

Well, I'll just have to do what it takes I guess. I'm kind of weary and I just want to lie down and sleep for a long, long time. Instead, I will transcribe two interviews and start on the stories.

(And although I may not have time to waste feeling sorry for myself, I still am. Tremendously sorry)

Mark Knopfler.

Dire Straits.

Indeed.

4 comments:

Jill (Lady Lazarus) said...

Ohmygosh, that's terrible! I'm sorry and hope you get it figured out soon.

Jenn said...

Thanks Rosie. I am concentrating on trying to ride my mood now (it's so easy for it to get out of control). Like trying to ride a tail of lightning. Giddyup.

Jeremy said...

You can (and should) go to the Financial Mediation Bureau. But first, ask to talk to a complaints officer at the bank and get their refusal to refund you the money in writing. That's the evidence the FBM will need.

Jenn said...

Hmmm...after that I guess I have to answer you, hey? Anyway the sergeant in charge of the case called me this morning and asked to go get a statement from the bank as to time of transactions. Then I will take it to him and he will open the case and request the CCTVs from the shopping centre in question. And I hope they put the bastard in jail and throw away the key.